September 16, 2007

Kalev Chocolate

Filed under: Estonian Chocolate — admin @ 9:08 pm

estoniaThe Estonian chocolate manufacturer Kalev was founded in 1806 in the old town of Estonians capital Tallinn by the Swiss confectioner Lorenz Caviezel.

In 1864 the chocolate manufacture was bought by the 25-year-old German Georg Johann Stude. He was the man who made the company to a success. His chocolate creations made him to a legend in Estonia, and the company became the biggest chocolate producer in 1921. The chocolate was also exported to foreign countries like Great Britain, France, USA and even to North Africa, India and China.

kalev chocolate schokolade

In 1948 the company was socialized by the Communist occupiers from Russia. The Soviets also changed the name from Kawe to Kalev. Kalev was the name of a mythologic king of Estonia. Even communism could not stop the success story of the chocolate. Kalev was very popular in the whole Soviet Union and known for its high quality chocolate.

After the end of communism in Estonia, the chocolate factory became private again in 1995. Today Kalev is Estonias biggest candy manufacturer again and in Estonian possession.

kalev chocolate schokolade

I had the luck to receive a product from Kalev. It was the chocolate bar called “Tume Sokolaad Kirsitükkidega”. It’s dark chocolate filled with dried pieces of cherry and apples. The dark chocolate is very tasteful and not too bitter (47% cacao content).  The filling of cherries and apples is something quite unique to me and fits quite well. Kalev Chocolate is a very delicious chocolate creation which delighted my senses to its highest pleasure.

kalev chocolate schokolade

1. Hello!

How did you receive Kalev’s Chocolate? I live in Spain, and i’ve been trying to buy Kalev’s Chocolates in Internet, but i didn’t find anything!! I don’t know if it is only available on Estonia, Finland, Sweden…

Regards.
    Andres.

Comment by Andres — December 29, 2007 @ 12:53 pm

2. You should try Kalev’s white chocolate with puffed rice and bilberries. Nothing quite like it:)

Comment by Evelin — March 16, 2008 @ 4:46 pm

3. I went to Estonia and came back to the U.S with several different chocolate bars. My favorite by far is the white chocolate with biscuts and strawberries. I wish I know how to order them over the internet.

Comment by Nakia — March 29, 2008 @ 3:58 am

4. “You should try Kalev’s white chocolate with puffed rice and bilberries. Nothing quite like it:)”

omg, I wish they sold it over here 🙁

Comment by sergio — June 14, 2008 @ 6:36 pm

5. You can buy the chocolate here:
    Unfortunately it’s in Estonian and they sell the chocolate in large quantities only.

Comment by sandra — July 6, 2008 @ 1:42 pm

6. PRODUCT OFFER

COCOA POWDER

ORIGIN : IVORY COAST AND GHANA – WEST AFRICA

CONTACT : cmftrade@yahoo.fr

Comment by TCHAMI FONDJA — September 11, 2008 @ 11:11 am

7. I was lucky enough to have a vendor at my company who is from Estonia. He brought me a box of assorted chocolates and they are “too die for”. The best chocolates I have ever tasted – I am a beloved chocolate connoisseur.

Comment by Chocolate Lover — September 29, 2008 @ 10:45 pm

8. Is there anyplace in the U.S. where Kalev chocolates can be purchased? We were in Estonia last month and love the Kalev chocolates.

Comment by Kaye — October 1, 2008 @ 3:51 pm

9. I’m an estonian and really happy to see that people love our products! 🙂
    I was joking with a friend one day after reading ur comments that i should start a business selling Estonian chocolates as long as i’m living here in Spain.

But now not-jokingly: i’m going to Estonia 21st of December. Maybe i could really make someone happy by bringing back more chocolates when i fly back to Spain from Estonia in January? Let me know and fast: sandra@extreme.ee 😀

Comment by Sandra — December 6, 2008 @ 6:21 pm

10. Hi there! I’m from Venezuela (SA) currently living in Canada, and I was wondering if there’s any way I can get those chocolates here!!! They are sooo good!! OMG my favorite is the white chocolate with strawberries. The only way I can get them so far is with a from Estonia.

This chocolates should be all over the world!!!

Comment by Betty — May 26, 2009 @ 4:45 am

11. I agree these chocolates are “to die for.”
    Paging Kalev, paging Kalev
    PLEASE export these chocolates to the US!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by chocoholic — June 25, 2009 @ 2:49 pm

12. Hello, I just had Estonian chocolate for the first time last night!!! It was given to us by two Estonian teachers visiting the US.
    Where can I purchase this chocolate since I don’t plan on visiting Estonia very soon ( I would like to, though).

Sharon July 10th 2009

Comment by Sharon — July 10, 2009 @ 9:52 pm

13. I was lucky to get some too. A friend of mine sent me some, I didn’t even know I was eating such high-end Chocolate!!

Comment by Rayna — July 28, 2009 @ 8:27 pm

14. I too was curious about finding more of this chocolate for sale online and stumbled on to this site… Just returned from Estonia (Aug2009) and brought boxes & boxes & boxes back for gifts only…should have brought extra! It is GREAT!!!…we will have to look into making it easily available in the states-US or online. For now check your local International shops/Cafe’s (European or Russian) You will be surprised at the verity of items they carry or can get shipped if you ask. Good luck! If your in the area visit Tallinn, Estonia, its a wonderful time 🙂

Comment by Jackie — August 24, 2009 @ 11:08 pm

15. I lived in Estonia for a year and I think I actually LOST weight with all the Kalev chocolate I ate! I am glad I have friends in Estonia who send me Kalev chocolate here in the US a few times a year. I just need to learn how to make it last longer!! 🙂

Comment by Jessica — September 10, 2009 @ 6:11 am

16. I received a big bar of the Kalev white w/ blueberries from my brother who was visiting Estonia. OMG, it is to die for and I was so obsessed to find some here in the US that I just went on line and was so disappointed not to find any source but was amused to find this website of comments by so many fans! One of us should definately become a US Importer and Distributor!

Comment by Betsy — October 7, 2009 @ 12:53 am

17. Hello all, there is a good possibility that we start with the import from KALEV in Holland

Comment by rob — January 23, 2010 @ 6:35 pm

18. Dear Sirs,

As I’m going to start a new business in chocolate products, Could you please cooperate with us to distribute your products in Egypt Market in our place.

Waiting for your positive reply.

With My Best Regards

Fayza Hassan

Comment by fayza hassan — January 29, 2010 @ 11:46 am

19. I live in Estonia and would happily send a box or a single chocolate to you. Whatever taste you like 🙂 Who is interested in Kalev chocolates, can contact me by email giz17@hot.ee – I am sure we can find a way how to export these amazing chocolates to you 🙂

Comment by Birgit — September 30, 2010 @ 9:15 pm

20. im ennew york ihv bek spac for open Kosher food an chocolate efyou kam partner plec email too me. simon 10 20 2010

Comment by simonnasimov — October 20, 2010 @ 7:16 pm

21. I live in Texas, USA. In 2008 we had a wonderful young man, from Estonia living with us Washington State. He was there to play hockey. For Christmas 2009 we flew him from Canada (where he was playing hockey) to Texas to spend Christmas with our family. This past Christmas and Christmas 2009 his family has sent us a box with Kalve chocolate.

Last night we opened the dark chocolate grapefruite and dark chocolte cherry. I thought a chocolate candy bar with grapefruit? They are both delicious!!!!! This evening we ate some of the marmalade rum flavored (Tiina rummimaitseline). These are just as delicious. Sure wish we were able to purchse this chocolate in the USA. It is delicious!

Comment by Pam — January 15, 2011 @ 3:27 am

22. Hello all Kalev chocolate fans in UK 🙂 If you want to get one of those delicious chocolates ( I have white with blueberries and white with strawberries and dark with cherrries) email me annika0111@hotmail.com, I can send them to other countries as well..
    Enjoy! 🙂

Comment by Ann-big fan of white choc — July 17, 2011 @ 6:43 pm

23. Hello from a Kalev fan from Japan! I have just come back from my visit to visit to Tallinn. The hotel I stayed provided a Kalev chocolate every evening, for which I fall in love. I bought a variety of their products and cannot wait to taste them one by one. In the end, I had to buy a new bag to carry them!

Their packages are fantastic as well as their taste; especially the one with a cat illustration. The one with liquor named after Tallinn taste nice, too. Their marzipans are so cute. Kawaii!

Comment by tsubu100 — October 17, 2011 @ 8:20 pm

24. Reading all these comments makes me want to go to buy some Kalev stuff. Knowing that you guys can’t buy them easily makes me appreciate Kalev products even more. I wish I could help as I live in Estonia… 🙁 My favorite ones are all the white ones, tiramisu, dark chocolate with grapefruit and the desiree ones. Also candys like “Kalev”, “Tallinn” and the ones with cheescake flavor or with pistachio nuts. I’m sure there are more, but these are the main favorites for now.

to tsubu100-san: I, on the other hand, was happy to try Pocky for the first time. I was so excited, because they don’t sell it in Estonia and I had to buy it from Sweden.

Comment by Sandy — February 15, 2012 @ 2:17 am

25. http://www.balticshop.com

under “food”
    then “candy”

Comment by Glenn — March 13, 2012 @ 10:33 pm

26. Kalev’s Chocolate is the most revolting chocolate I have ever tasted.

Comment by open hospitality point of sale — April 28, 2013 @ 7:49 am