September 19, 2007

Laima Chocolate

Filed under: Latvian Chocolate — admin @ 7:39 pm

laima chocolate latviaLaima is a Latvian chocolate manufacturer which was established in 1870 in Latvians capital Riga.

It was the German confectioner Theodore Riegert who set the foundation stone of Laima Chocolate with Rigas first candy factory.

Riegert’s chocolate factory became famous in the whole Baltic region and Russia in a short time. In 1925 the chocolate factory was turned into a joint stock company and received its name of today: Laima.

laima chocolate schokolade

By 1938 the factory Laima could have been surely called an empire of sweets: high quality chocolate, candy, cocoa, squish were made on modern foreign machinery and exported in large quantities.

The factory’s turnover was about 4-5 million lats. Its products supplied the whole range of warehouses and shops in towns and provinces. Imagine – up to 1000 people worked in Laima system! In spite the competition among 29 sweets manufacturers, Laima was a recognized leader occupying 39% of the market of sweets in Latvia and 79% of the export market. Laima products were exported to England, France, Sweden, Canada, Holland, Norway, South Africa, Palestine, Morocco, the Bermudas and India…

When the second world war started in 1939 the exports stopped immediately, and the prices on the domestic market increased.

laima chocolate schokolade

After the war Latvia became a part of the Sovietunion and Laima Chocolate a Communist enterprise. Nevertheless the company achieved many trophies and compliment in international exhibitions.

In 1993 Laima became a private company again. Today, as decades ago, Laima faces high competition from foreign manufacturers, but people of Riga and Latvia do not change their tastes and stay faithful to their favourite sweets.

laima chocolate schokolade

I have tried the “Laima Piena”. It’s the Laim Mik Chocolate. The chocolate has a pleasant full taste of milk chocolate. I experienced a very sweet flavour and it reminded me on our traditional christmas tree chocolate in Austria. Quality chocolate in a very sweet and tasty style.

1. Best chocolate ever tasted!!!

Comment by Girts — February 3, 2009 @ 2:20 pm

2. Eating some right now:) Just got back from Latvia and and this is the best chocolate I’ve ever had in my life! If you don’t have a reason to go to Latvia, go help the orphans and buy some Laima chocolate while your at it:)

Comment by Jenn — July 23, 2009 @ 7:03 pm

3. I LOVE your chocolate ,I live in U.S and have relatives in LV…Your chocolate is the BEST ! !!!!!!!

Comment by Sharon — August 28, 2009 @ 5:16 am

4. Is there a history of Laima available?I should like to know more.

Comment by m.ollier — December 17, 2009 @ 1:23 pm

5. Hey! that’s my name!!! 😛

Comment by Laima Daudzai — September 4, 2010 @ 5:43 pm

6. I am Mr. Mohamed Hafez AL Nahhal
    I really liked your product wonderful
    I want to be an agent for your products in my country
    In the Gaza Strip, Palestine
    Please reply to me about your answere at beekeeper3@hotmail.com

thanks

Comment by mohammed — May 6, 2011 @ 2:26 am

7. Dear Sir,

I live in Canada and have a friend from Ukraine. Although they have their manufacturers like Roshen, but he told me that Laima brand is a very good one. I have no experience with your quality and tast and I have not seen your brand here.
    I am a businessman. I find good items from anywhere in the world that are good to be send to Canada and the Middle East, get their agencies and export them there.

If you are interested we can work on your brand for that region.

Regards,

soltani

Comment by Alireza Soltani — July 12, 2011 @ 8:10 pm

8. Laima Chocolate is the best chocolate in the world. I cannot describe the feeling I get when I put it in my mouth. I am so glad that my dear Latvian friend introduced me to your chocolate.

Comment by Mary McELeney-Zabivnik — July 16, 2011 @ 3:48 am

9. my favorite and the best chocolate in the world … super yummy !!!

Comment by jean trinidad — January 25, 2012 @ 8:40 am

10. im from philippines … really glad my sister got to bring some Laima chocolate … it is really good … THE BEST CHOCOLATE IN THE WORLD !!! My forever favorite!

Comment by jean trinidad — January 25, 2012 @ 8:43 am